Thursday, March 19, 2009

NCAA Tourney: Day 1

By Eric Y

Ahhhh, its the most wonderful time of the year: NCAA Basketball Tournament time! The first day of the tournament is, in my opinion, the best sports day of the year. Sure, Super Bowl Sunday has its perks, but on that first thursday of the tourney, almost everyone does nothing but watch basketball and obsess over their brackets. My whole day was, like many others, spent watching basketball. Here's a few things I noted on day one:

- UConn should be worried about the future of the team. Coach Jim Calhoun fell ill, and missed his second game of the season. Although the Huskies still blew 16 seed Chattanooga out of the stadium, losing a great coach like Calhoun would be a huge hit to the program.

- Maryland could have a chance to upset Memphis when they play in the second round. The Tigers did not look great today, and 15 seed Cal-State Northridge, not exactly a basketball powerhouse, hung with them most of the game. If they play the same way next week, Greivis Vasquez (one of the most underrated players in the nation) and the Terps might have a chance to knock them off.

- Villanova game me quite a scare tonight. If my hometown American Eagles had somehow won that game, I would have been excited as anyone, but all of my brackets have 'Nova in the Final Four. Losing in the round of 64 would not be acceptable.  It was kind of disappointing to see American fall apart late. I was hoping for another D.C.-area Cinderella team. Watching George Mason make their miracle run to the Final Four was probably the most fun I've ever had watching basketball. 

- Clemson is soooooooo overrated. They do the same thing every year: win a ton of games to open the season, fall apart in the second half of the season, then lose early on in the tournament. Yet I still picked them to win today. D'oh. Michigan is better than i gave them credit for though. Manny Harris is a stud, and coach John Beilein has done a great job turning the Wolverines into a solid team.

- I could definitely see Purdue make a run to the Final Four. They are good on both sides of the ball, and are really surging at the right time. Super Sophs Robbie Hummel and E'Twaun Moore can do it all, and are the best combo in the Big Ten.

- Jaan Montgomery of Binghamton should be a lineman. I would not want to be picked by this 6'11", 290 pound center. Also, I like that after about 4 minutes had elapsed in their game against Binghamton, Duke was in the bonus. It takes skill for all 5 of your starters to get at least one foul after just a couple minutes of play.

- ESPN: NO ONE CARES ABOUT PRESIDENT OBAMA'S BRACKET!!!!!!!!! Honestly, I do not want to watch Obama take 10 minutes to fill out a very bland bracket on Sportscenter instead of NIT or even Morehead State-Alabama State highlights. Coach K was exactly right when he said the Prez should be doing more important things than filling out brackets.

Well I'm tired and going to bed, but I'm tempted to stay up and pray that Illinois mounts a comeback against Western Kentucky. Come on Illini, i have you in the Sweet Sixteen, don't fail me now. Oh, and by the way, my final four is 'Nova, UNC, Louisville, and Memphis, with the Cardinals knocking off the Heels in the final.

No comments:

Post a Comment