Monday, June 22, 2009

Brett Who?


By Eric Y

As a diehard Green Bay Packers fan, I never thought the day would come when I would see Brett Favre, my hero, my quarterback, my idol, suiting up in a purple jersey to play for the Minnesota Viqueens (as I like to affectionately call that "team"). I've been in denial for about the past month, thinking Favre would make the smart move and ride around on his John Deere this fall, but now I've accepted that he is back for more.

I hear many sportswriters saying how Favre is not "tarnishing his legacy". They talk about Joe Montana the Chief and Johnny Unitas the Charger, two of the greatest quarterbacks of all time ending their careers not with the 49ers and the Colts (respectively), the teams they had spent their entire careers with. They say no one remembers them as playing for those teams at the end. Of course Favre is going to the hall of fame, but this is different, for me anyways. As far as I know, there is no rivalry between the Chiefs and the Niners, nor with the Colts and the Chargers. But now, Brett Favre, the football God of Green Bay, Wisconsin, is going to the enemy, a Vikings team that is threatening at making a run to the playoffs. This I will DEFINITELY remember about Favre. Of course, I'll remember Favre as the ironman gunslinger who threw a hell of a lot of touchdowns, but I'll also remember him as the drama queen who thinks the world revolves around his right arm, and joined the enemy.

Looking back at last year, I am very happy the Packers kept Aaron Rodgers over Favre. He had a better season than him. The 10 losses were not Rodgers fault, and I see him having a good year this year. If Favre does come back and play for the Vikes, I can't wait for October 5th, when the Pack comes to the Metrodome to beat up on Favre on Monday Night Football. I look forward to nothing more than seeing Favre laid out in the backfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment